Accessing our sites
Due to the nature of the internet the University can’t guarantee that our sites or the websites to which our sites are linked will always be available to you. If the need arises, the University reserves the right to amend, suspend or withdraw the sites that we provide without notice. The University will not be liable if for any reason our site or others are unavailable at any time or for any period.
If you choose, or are provided with a password or any other log in details to access any part of our sites, you agree:
- to treat such log in information as confidential and not disclose it to any third party.
- to ensure that any details supplied to us in order to register access are accurate and to advise us promptly in the event that any such details change.
You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our sites. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access our sites through your internet connection are aware of these terms, and that they comply with them.
The University is the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our sites, the technical infrastructure relating to them, and in the material published on them. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
Subject to the restrictions set out below, you may download, view and print material from our sites for your personal non-commercial use and for internal non-commercial circulation within your organisation. No other use is permitted without our prior written consent. In particular, you may not use any part of the materials on our sites for commercial purposes without obtaining our prior written consent.
You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
The University’s status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of material on our sites must always be acknowledged. No trade mark, copyright or other proprietary notices contained in or appearing on material from our site should be altered or removed in whole or in part.
The permission to reproduce material does not extend to material identified as belonging to third parties, where you must obtain the permission of the relevant owners before reproducing such material.
Reliance on Information Posted
Our sites are accessed by a multitude of users and therefore have been prepared with the primary aim of providing general information for and about the University, detailing what we do and how we do it, and to support the many knowledge management and business process requirements both inside and outside of the organisation.
Although the University endeavours to ensure that this general information on our sites is accurate at the time of publication, any of the information on our sites may be out of date or incomplete at any given time. If you believe that any information on our sites is inaccurate please let the University know and we will investigate this. The University disclaims all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance on such general information placed on our sites by any visitor to our sites, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents.
Where the University makes research papers, personal commentaries, statistical analyses, corporate data and other third party material available on our sites, we do not control and do not necessarily endorse their contents or findings in any way, and we are not responsible for the accuracy or otherwise of such material.
The material displayed on our sites is provided without any guarantees, conditions or warranties as to its accuracy. To the extent permitted by law, we hereby expressly exclude:
- all conditions, warranties and other terms which might otherwise be implied by statute, common law or the law of equity.
- any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage incurred by any user in connection with our sites or in connection with the use, inability to use, or results of the use of our sites, any websites linked to them and any materials posted on them, including, without limitation, loss of income or revenue; loss of business; loss of profits or contracts; loss of anticipated savings; loss of data; loss of goodwill; wasted management or office time; and
- any liability for any other loss or damage of any kind, however arising and whether caused by tort (including negligence), breach of contract or otherwise, even if foreseeable, provided that this condition shall not prevent claims for loss of or damage to your tangible property or any other claims for direct financial loss that are not excluded by any of the categories set out above.
Information about you and your visits to our sites
Freedom of Information
The data rights and responsibilities of the University, its staff and students is governed by the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Data Protection Act 1998. For policy and other information see:
Further information on Freedom of Information
Further information on Data Protection
The University aims to make our sites and the material provided on them accessible to as many people as possible. We endeavour to ensure that our sites have been tested on all commonly used browsers and on a number of screen readers, but please note that you may see inconsistencies in the presentation of pages if you are using an older or deprecated version of a browser. Further information on accessibility.
Equality and Diversity
The University believes in treating all individuals fairly and with equal respect and we would invite you to read our Equality and Diversity Policy.
You may use our sites only for lawful purposes. You may not use our sites:
- in any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation.
- in any way that is unlawful, fraudulent or harmful to other users, or has any unlawful, fraudulent or harmful purpose or effect.
- to send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with our Posting Rules.
- to transmit, or produce the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam).
- to knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, spyware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
You also agree not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt any part of our sites; any equipment or network on which our sites are stored; any software used in the provision of our sites; or any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
Uploading Material to our sites
Whenever you make use of a feature that allows you to upload material to our sites, or connected third-party sites, or to make contact with other users of our sites, you must comply with the standards set out in the Posting Rules. You warrant that any such contribution does comply with those standards, and you indemnify us for any breach of that warranty.
Any material you upload to our site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary, and the University has the right to use, copy, distribute and disclose to third parties any such material for any purpose. The University also has the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any material posted or uploaded by you to our sites constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or their right to privacy.
The University will not be responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any materials posted by your or any other user of our sites.
The University has the right to remove any material or posting you make on our site if, in our opinion, such material does not comply with the standards set out in the Posting Rules.
Viruses, Computer Misuse and other Offences
You must not misuse our sites by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our sites, the server on which the sites are stored or any server, computer or database connected to our sites. You must not attack our sites via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack.
By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. The University may report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our sites will cease immediately.
The University will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a distributed denial-of-service attack, viruses or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programmes, data or other proprietary material due to your use of our sites or to your downloading of any material posted on it, or on any website linked to it. You should ensure that you have appropriate protection against viruses and other security arrangements in place when using the internet.
Linking to our sites
You may link to material on our sites, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it, but you must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
The University reserves the right to withdraw linking permission without notice. The website/service from which you are linking must comply in all respects with the standards set out in these terms and the Posting Rules.
If you wish to make any use of material on our sites other than that set out above, please address your query to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links from our sites
Where our sites contain links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. The University has no control over the contents of those sites or resources, and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
Suspension and Termination
The University will determine, in our discretion, whether there has been a breach of these terms through your use of our sites. When a breach of these terms has occurred, the University may take such action as we deem appropriate.
- immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use controlled areas of our sites.
- immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any posting or material uploaded by you to our sites.
- issue of a warning to you.
- legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach.
- further legal action against you.
- disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as the University reasonably feels is necessary.
To the extent permitted by law, the University excludes liability for actions taken in response to breaches of these terms. The responses described in these terms are not limited, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
Jurisdiction and Applicable Law
The English courts will have exclusive jurisdiction over any claim arising from, or related to, a visit to our sites although the University retains the right to bring proceedings against you for breach of these conditions in your country of residence or any other relevant country.
The trade marks and logos (including the University of Nottingham “castle” logo) used and displayed on our sites are our registered and unregistered trade marks or those of others. You may not use these trade marks without our prior written permission or that of the owner(s) of the trade mark(s) in question.
If you have any concerns about material which appears on our site, please contact email@example.com.
Thank you for visiting our various sites.